Welcome to Our Get Organized Now! Discussion Forum

Click Here For Hundreds of FREE Organizing Tips and Printables!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2022 6:40 am  #1

Christmas Cards

I love sending cards and used to make them! I begin before Thanksgiving. I keep a list each year of everyone and make sure it is up to date. I buy enough cards and stamps to cover the list plus a few more.
     The week after Thanksgiving I put them all in a basket with my list, stamps, stickers, writing tablet, pens, sticky-notes, and an address book. It's easy to just grab my basket to work where I want and usually use a lap desk.
     During the week after Thanksgiving I begin by first sorting the cards into those to mail early (who live farther away or celebrate early) or later (those who live locally or will receive their card with a gift.) Since I love a variety of cards I put a sticky note on each card with the name of the recipient. (Holiday/secular, sentimental, religious).
     The next step is addressing all of them and stamping. That takes several days as I do it while watching tv and do a few at a time. It is easy, with my address book right there.
     I keep cards from the previous year that have personal letters and notes in them, especially from those I don't see or hear from during the year to refresh my memory and ask about "Aunt Alice" who broke her leg, or "Uncle Joe" who moved to the wilds of Montana. So this step is to write short notes to everyone, some shorter than others. I make a half check mark next to their name when I've done this, but I do not seal the envelope yet. That allows me to insert a last minute goodie, like a photo, recipe, or a P.S. to the note before mailing.
     Finally, I place the "early" pile in my out-going mail pile, finish the check mark on my list as I seal them, and add a Christmas sticker to the backs. (Checking off my list ensures that they were mailed and ends the possible guessing game of whether or not I sent them one.) When that pile is mailed I bring out the "later" pile and do the same.
   Why do I go to all of this "trouble" instead of dashing off an e-card, or lining up a box of cards assembly-line style, signing my name, and stamp/seal? It reconnects me to those I love and have cared about in the past. It offers a few moments slowing down, of thinking about them, and saying a little prayer.

Last edited by MommaJo (12/02/2022 6:43 am)

What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that, no matter what happens, God will have the last word.  
―St. Paisios of Mt. Athos

12/12/2022 4:22 pm  #2

Re: Christmas Cards

I love to do photo Christmas cards (using Shutterfly, Snapfish or even Walmart). Many of these card services offer a BIG discount and free shipping if you order before Thanksgiving! During the year, when I take or see a picture of my children that I love, I put it in a folder on my computer marked for this year's card. The week before Thanksgiving I take an evening, find the best deal, create the card online and order! They usually arrive before or right after Thanksgiving. I have an ongoing address list of my friends/family in label format on my computer. Once I'm ready to mail, I print out the addresses on labels and purchase stamps. I have a BRIEF synopsis of each family members year, printed on the back of the card, so I don't need to write on each one. I do pull a couple to add a personal message for someone I don't see often, and mail the rest. I also print a copy of who I send cards to so I can check off who I receive one from (that way if I missed someone, I can quickly send them one!) This system actually makes doing Christmas cards enjoyable and not a chore!

Board footera