Welcome to Our Get Organized Now! Discussion Forum

Click Here For Hundreds of FREE Organizing Tips and Printables!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2022 5:26 pm  #1

Organizing: Keeping track of your flower beds and garden care

How should we best keep a garden journal? I have numerous flower bed areas, one small veggie patch, and various pots. Each area or plant needs certain fertilizers at various times. Pests invade, diseases, and so sprays are used, again at various times. It's good to record when things were planted, the weather, and their progress. While cruising websites I come across bits of helpful info about some of my plants I'd like to record. Has anyone successfully found an easy way to track all of this? By plant? By bed? By spray/fertilizer and date? By calendar?

What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that, no matter what happens, God will have the last word.  
―St. Paisios of Mt. Athos

7/06/2022 10:33 am  #2

Re: Organizing: Keeping track of your flower beds and garden care

I organize mine by plant. I have a 3 ring-binder...and a separate page for each and every plant. I keep these alphabetical. It's a good idea to make a "form" rather than a blank page. You can then indicate pests, diseases, when things were planted, etc....and then make copies of that form and use it for each plant. 

MommaJo wrote:

How should we best keep a garden journal? I have numerous flower bed areas, one small veggie patch, and various pots. Each area or plant needs certain fertilizers at various times. Pests invade, diseases, and so sprays are used, again at various times. It's good to record when things were planted, the weather, and their progress. While cruising websites I come across bits of helpful info about some of my plants I'd like to record. Has anyone successfully found an easy way to track all of this? By plant? By bed? By spray/fertilizer and date? By calendar?

7/06/2022 5:02 pm  #3

I love that. I used to be better at it and now want to return to it. I first tried organizing by the bed, giving each flower bed a name based on where it was located. It got too hard. I think I'll follow your "by plant" idea next year.

What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that, no matter what happens, God will have the last word.  

7/27/2022 10:01 am  #4

Let me know how it works out for you. Aren't gardens wonderful?!

MommaJo wrote:

I love that. I used to be better at it and now want to return to it. I first tried organizing by the bed, giving each flower bed a name based on where it was located. It got too hard. I think I'll follow your "by plant" idea next year.

7/27/2022 5:43 pm  #5

Yes, I will. Organizing my journal is still on my "to do" list. Gardens are great,, the flower ones for the eyes (and nose): beauty and butterflies and fragrance, and the veggie ones for the taste, the dinner table!

My house is surrounded by mulched beds. In order to keep up with the weeds, I do a "Daily Weed Walk". I circle the house just once and pull any weeds that dared to pop up. that way I don't have to do marathon weedings days in the hot summer. It's meditative.

Board footera