Welcome to Our Get Organized Now! Discussion Forum

Click Here For Hundreds of FREE Organizing Tips and Printables!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2022 6:42 am  #1

Is it enough?

After reading your recent excellent e-letter (August 5, 2022) my thoughts conitnued:

Is it enough?
Is it good enough?
Is it important enough?

There is the old joke among the elderly: “I don’t even buy green bananas anymore as they might outlast me”.

Not to be morbid but an elderly friend, who loved garage sales and thrift shops (she brags about her "finds" and that she has 40 tee shirts) once said that she is looking at things differently now.

For instance in her home, her family room carpet is showing some wear. She could have new carpet installed, but carpets last for 10-20 years. Saying she may not even be alive that long, she asks herself, is it good enough?

She saw an expensive purse on sale, but she has an abundance of purses already. So she asks herself, are her present ones good enough?

She was asked to join a committee at church. She is already busy, caring for her grandchildren, so she asks herself, “Is it important enough?”

She cleans her kitchen, the hub of her family life. With her failing energy, but perfectionist tendencies, she asks herself, Is it clean enough?”

Our limited time and our space and our energy are important. We all don’t know know how much time we really have.
So we should all ask ourselves before buying more, doing more,:
Is it good enough?

Last edited by MommaJo (8/05/2022 6:44 am)

What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that, no matter what happens, God will have the last word.  
―St. Paisios of Mt. Athos

8/27/2022 11:35 pm  #2

Re: Is it enough?

MommaJo wrote:

After reading your recent excellent e-letter (August 5, 2022) my thoughts conitnued:

Is it enough?
Is it good enough?
Is it important enough?

There is the old joke among the elderly: “I don’t even buy green bananas anymore as they might outlast me”.

Not to be morbid but an elderly friend, who loved garage sales and thrift shops (she brags about her "finds" and that she has 40 tee shirts) once said that she is looking at things differently now.

For instance in her home, her family room carpet is showing some wear. She could have new carpet installed, but carpets last for 10-20 years. Saying she may not even be alive that long, she asks herself, is it good enough?

She saw an expensive purse on sale, but she has an abundance of purses already. So she asks herself, are her present ones good enough?

She was asked to join a committee at church. She is already busy, caring for her grandchildren, so she asks herself, “Is it important enough?”

She cleans her kitchen, the hub of her family life. With her failing energy, but perfectionist tendencies, she asks herself, Is it clean enough?”

Our limited time and our space and our energy are important. We all don’t know know how much time we really have.
So we should all ask ourselves before buying more, doing more,:
Is it good enough?

I love this! I struggle with ‘more’ and need to work on ‘enough’.

Board footera