Welcome to Our Get Organized Now! Discussion Forum

Click Here For Hundreds of FREE Organizing Tips and Printables!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2022 9:57 am  #1

Time Management Challenges

Do you have a time management challenge? Let us know what's happening! Ready, set, go!

1/11/2022 7:26 pm  #2

Re: Time Management Challenges

How do we overcome the strong desire to be perfect (or as close as possible) in everything? Spending  too much time getting everything "just so", over-planning with too many detailed lists, or worrying about so many "what-ifs"  can be not only time-consuming, but paralyzing.

What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that, no matter what happens, God will have the last word.  
―St. Paisios of Mt. Athos

1/12/2022 4:24 am  #3

@MommaJo - I feel you! I struggle with "Sometimes good is good enough", too. I've gotten to the point where I focus on just 2 or 3 tasks a day - and I set the list out for the whole family to see. If Mini Me or The Bearded One choose to do one of them to help out, I just make a mental note to completely let that one go. It's OK if they don't do it "my way". I focus instead on being grateful that they are pitching in. I also have it set up now so that we are doing tasks more frequently, so if one week a spot gets missed it's very likely that someone will get it next week. 

1/12/2022 4:29 am  #4

Time management is something I'm working on. Blocking off "extra" time in my schedule around my tasks has really helped me out. First, since this essentially means I'm doing fewer things in longer duration it forces me to really focus on what's most important first. Second, I'm not nearly as stressed out because I'm not overscheduling myself and have set my expectations properly for the day/week. This one shift (do less, leave wiggle room) has made such a huge difference in my mindset. I can enjoy the task a little more (or at least not be all frazzled while doing it), and I find that I'm getting more done overall because I don't get overwhelmed and just do nothing.

1/12/2022 1:45 pm  #5

MommaJo wrote:

How do we overcome the strong desire to be perfect (or as close as possible) in everything? Spending  too much time getting everything "just so", over-planning with too many detailed lists, or worrying about so many "what-ifs"  can be not only time-consuming, but paralyzing.

This is a big problem for many people. The trick is not focusing on ALL ASPECTS of a project at once...because when you do, there's too much to worry about. Choose a tiny part and work on that piece. Accepting "good enough is good enough" works for some tasks and projects. Some call for more attention to detail. It's important to know which projects to give that "perfection-attention" to and which don't really require it. There will always be "what ifs." Always have at least or or two back-up plans in place IF it's something really important. Maybe you can give us examples of what you're working on?

1/12/2022 1:46 pm  #6

angelzink wrote:

@MommaJo - I feel you! I struggle with "Sometimes good is good enough", too. I've gotten to the point where I focus on just 2 or 3 tasks a day - and I set the list out for the whole family to see. If Mini Me or The Bearded One choose to do one of them to help out, I just make a mental note to completely let that one go. It's OK if they don't do it "my way". I focus instead on being grateful that they are pitching in. I also have it set up now so that we are doing tasks more frequently, so if one week a spot gets missed it's very likely that someone will get it next week. 

Excellent advice!

1/12/2022 1:46 pm  #7

angelzink wrote:

Time management is something I'm working on. Blocking off "extra" time in my schedule around my tasks has really helped me out. First, since this essentially means I'm doing fewer things in longer duration it forces me to really focus on what's most important first. Second, I'm not nearly as stressed out because I'm not overscheduling myself and have set my expectations properly for the day/week. This one shift (do less, leave wiggle room) has made such a huge difference in my mindset. I can enjoy the task a little more (or at least not be all frazzled while doing it), and I find that I'm getting more done overall because I don't get overwhelmed and just do nothing.

Well said...and an excellent approach!

1/12/2022 4:10 pm  #8

Momma Jo,  best thing i learned is if possible take 10-15 minutes Nap or lay down after 4-5 hours constant work. You will feel fresh and energetic and accomplish much more than keep on working . it works wonders for me 

1/13/2022 4:03 pm  #9

These are excellent reminders and suggestions, many thanks! Yes, perhaps it's better when overwhelmed, to take smaller bites at a time, and maybe try to choose smaller elephants with more wiggle room. Napping used to be a habit of mine, but maybe a short quiet time/catnap should be a higher priority when feeling stressed. Examples:  1. When company comes, what to clean, meal planning, activity planning, etc. 2. Paper piles and piles of family tree research. 3. Concern that if something would happen to my spouse, would I be able to run a household on my own? What to learn to do first. 4. Downsizing a house, in case I'd have to move alone. 5. Managing health issues, decisions about downsizing activities and which ones and how much...on and on. I'm reminded of a quote: "Don't sweat the small stuff." followed by: "It's all small stuff". Good to remember.

Last edited by MommaJo (1/13/2022 4:07 pm)

What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that, no matter what happens, God will have the last word.  

1/14/2022 3:28 pm  #10

Using waiting time productively while talking, or should I say, listening, to a long-winded friend on the phone, or waiting forever "on hold", or waiting for a late tele-call: What do you do to keep from going crazy?. When a call is expected I grab a dust rag and while talking, or mainly listening or waiting, I dust every thing in sight during that time. It's easy since it's mindless.

Board footera